Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Two Cents on Pregnancy

I am dedicating this post to my friend, and Andres' cousin, Maria Andrea that just found out she is two months pregnant. She lives only 10 minutes from us and I'm so excited that we will have children the same age. Being pregnant was not easy for me and I learned the following:

1. Don't listen to what anyone else has to say about what you should and should not eat. That is between you and your baby. My baby wanted me to eat a lot of carbs and that helped me fight the horrible nausea. It's the only time in your life that it will be ok to eat junk since you're going to get fat regardless - might as well have fun doing it!

2. You should take it easy during the first trimester. It is the most important developmental trimester for the baby.

3. You should forget about wearing mascara for the next 9months...and you may want to extend that for a few months
after the baby arrives. Pregnancy did cause me to be a little
more emotional and being nauseous all the time didn't help!

4. Always plan each outing and carry snacks with you. Not
only was I nauseous if I didn't eat every two hours, but once I
also felt my blood pressure go down and I needed to eat
ASAP!

5. Don't make yourself crazy by actually going to Target or Babys R Us (or whichever store you happen to choose) to select items for your registry. It is way too overwhelming as there are sooo many choices! I found it much easier to select items online where I could read all the reviews left by other mommies and make decisions based on the reviews.

6. Don't put clothes on your baby registry. Your friends and family will buy you TONS of clothes anyway - they don't need any additional encouragement.

7. Remove your wedding and engagement bands a month or two before your due date. You don't want your rings to become uncomfortably stuck on your finger.

8. If anyone asks you how many babies are you having during your last trimester, tell them you have quints!

9. You may want to consider sleeping on an inflatable mattress during the last month. It was much more comfortable for me as my sides tended to go numb from the added weight. A prego pillow was also helpful so that you have something to rest your extended belly on at night. (The pregnancy pillows are those extra long pillows that are almost as long as you are.)

10. Your memory will go from bad to worse - accept it and expect it!

1 comment:

  1. Barbie, I finally got the chance to read the piece you dedicated to me and I loved it!!!
    Thanks for your advice and for making this blog so fun and easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete