Sunday, July 25, 2010

First Date Night Fiasco

Andres and I took advantage of Anabel being in town by setting up our first Date Night since the birth of Lucas. On Saturday July 10th, six weeks into parenthood, we went out - just the two of us - to a very nice restaurant called Virgillio's in Merrick Park in the Gables. We strategically picked a restaurant only minutes from our house and told Anabel to call me if Lucas woke up and she wasn't able to calm him within five minutes. (I am not sure who chose such a rediculously short amount of time! Seriously, it wasn't me...) We ordered our appetizer and enjoyed it as we discussed how we felt about being parents, etc. When the entree arrived, my phone rang. Anabel told me that she just wanted to call me because she was not able to calm Lucas, he had been crying for five minutes and she had promised she would call. I could hear Lucas screaming in the background and something snapped in me and I started crying too...in the middle of the restaurant! I just couldn't help myself. My heart broke when I heard Lucas crying and I couldn't help but think that he felt that his Mommy and Daddy had abandoned him. Alas it wasn't Lucas that wasn't ready for us to go on a date night, as he calmed down a few minutes later...it was MOMMY that wasn't ready. Oh well...we will try this again when my mom comes to visit on July 30th. Lucas will be almost nine weeks old at that time AND I will tell my mom to call me only if she feels that she can't handle him and Lucas is crying for considerably longer than five minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment