Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lactation Consultant to the RESCUE!

Faith Ploude from The Family Collection was a life saver! She had been referred to me by several other mommies as well as health practioners in the community and seems to have built quite a name for herself. With all the problems that I was having with breastfeeding, I was told she was the one to call. I sent her an e-mail on Sunday night and she called me back first thing Monday morning. She was over my house for a private consultation a few hours later. She came prepared with a scale to weigh Lucas after he nursed and showed me techniques for effective breast feeding and getting Lucas to latch on without pain. Her favorite phrase: "Protect the nipple at all cost" and she taught me to put my pinky in Lucas' mouth when I need him to unlatch. Faith also left some hydrogels to sooth my irritated nipples. Before she left, she asked that I call or e-mail her every day to let her know how I was doing and that we would schedule a follow up appointment for Friday if both nipples hadn't healed by then. I was extremely surprised to see that one had completely healed, but as the second one was still irritated (actually bloody to be precise) I did call Faith to come back so I could refresh my memory of her fabulous instruction. She even showed me the best ways to feed baby the bottle with pumped milk although she did say that it is better not to introduce a bottle to the baby until he is six weeks old and has had time to master breastfeeding. Since we had already been giving the baby bottles, Andres and I would give the baby a bottle between breasts to take pressure off my nipples. Faith also insisted that I call her at any time, even the middle of the night, if I was having problems. I took her up on that and called her a couple of days later at six in the morning. I was home alone as Andres was taking his mom to the airport and Lucas was going on a boob strike. Since then I have become a Faith Ploude groupie and attend her Mommy and Me class that she teaches at Mercy Hospital every Tuesday and Thursday between 2:30 - 4pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment